About Me

My photo
No not their fault For hard, they have always tried But such an iceberg I am.Alas! Only one-tenth of me can be seen Even that is deterring rough and hard Forget the ninth-tenth under the sea

Sunday, September 13, 2009

My experience with public sector- IT IN PUBLIC SECTOR-1

Yes I agree that L1 is pending but something happened and it provoked me to deal with PSU - IT first. Hey this IT is same the hyped software IT not the boring income tax IT.

"Oh cmon we too have intranet facilities, we can send mails, we can receive mails, that means we have Ids........so we also need an IT dept. Obviously we have an IT dept. to make email Ids, send salary emails to each employee, and to fill IT returns online(Now this was income tax), to make a database of all this information about an employee, to make links for different depts on the intranet(as if a new dept mushrooms up every week), you would be astonished to know, they now have made the filling of tour advance application, claims and even leave application online, (how much of it is updated is different matter), and also to provide IT related hardware, services related to that, it is a mammoth task dear you wont understand.



Oh so it seems a joke to you......it itself is a big task...and then there is a corporate IT that also deals with how to maintain internet communication at sites, I mean power plant. A lot of internet connectivity is required between plants and their substations, their communnication architecture, communication protocol etc. "

And after this it became difficult to explain the work of IT dept. in PSU for me to an IT based friend of mine, further being an ex-IT person now working in PSU it felt like I was fooling myself about, giving all these explanations. Thankfully the friend didnt ask me how does the IT dept. manage the misuse of internet during working hours....how embarassing it would have been to tell that we could only access intranet and irctc.co.in, sbi, airline sites. The hardworking IT dept has banned internet access upto E6 level that is DGM level so that there is no need to monitor the sites being used etc.

At times I wonder how and when they came to this figure of E6, let it be for the ED only, or why even for him or her also, why do they need?? As far as I know people at higher level are more hooked to share trading and such activities not the entry level engineers, but then who has got time to monitor all this. OHK......cricket is an all generation passion, irrespective of caste and creed, age and designation, then why only E0 to E5 are prohibited from it, hmmmm.....may be the E6 ones deserve that after such long years of hardwork and contributions to the organisation......When will I reach E6???? Some 20 years, till then without net!!!!! Cmon its public sector I knew it isnt it?(to be continued)

1 comment:

Rakesh...the blue moon said...

Super dooper hit...those stupid IT guys sud read it.